GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

84 s blazer fiberglass top factory or aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Crash_box, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

ok so here is my issue, sorry if not in the correct area just seemed to go best here. but anyways i bought this blazer becouse i figured it was reliable and was deffinatly a looker, and i had never seen a removable top on a s-10 blazer, so i figured why not? and i have gotten news on this both ways from shops and "car buffs" (not ment to offend ppl here) that the fiberglass removable top on my truck is factory, and others say its a aftermarket deal, now being born in 85 im not real sure myself and im pretty sure i dont recall seeing one, so i waswanting some input on the status of it, and possably where to find new seals/weather striping for the top. thanks all!!!!
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

S-10 Blazers Never had a removable top. They did have a sliding side rear windows There were some aftermarket Co's that did cut them off and make soft tops for them..
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

Like Enkeiavalanche posted the S model Blazers and their brother the GMC Jimmy never came with a factory removable top, it's always been a full hard top.
    In the mid to late 80's their were a couple companies that converted and sold them with removable tops in both fiberglass and a soft top.
    Yours is an aftermarket conversion.
  4. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

so finding the seals and another soft top might be kind of hard? and thank you both, i thought it was a odd truck but was not sure lol
  5. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

You can remove some of the weatherstripping and match it up with the by-the-foot-stuff at the parts store. The top to bed seal is probably just camper tape, but around the sides and roof is probably the butyle poly-somethingorother stuff.

I've never seen one of those up close, and good luck,
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Can you please post up pics of it from the back?
  7. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

you want the back? back from inside? showing the joint on the side? or all? ill take them in the morning(light) and post them after.

just a side note, the only thing besides a few factory badges it only contains a sticker from the dealership from where i bought it from. thought i would throw that out there as well.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

9. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

10. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

ok here are the pics it looks nice thats why i thought it to be stock, let me know what you think
  11. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Well I had a custom Southern Coach S-10 Blazer back in 88. I had it lifted and all custom stuff done to it.. Almost got a Targa top for it.. I have never seen a top like that one.. Does it leak?
  12. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

not yet lol, and i have a soft top for it as well lol. im kinda confused, there are no shop name/stickers anywhere. so now im wanting to know who did this to the truck
  13. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

enkei i would like to see some pics of yours if you still have them. also would like to see any other pictures anyone else can find
  14. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

Welcome to the G M T C ! I had one of the original '84 Blazer and really enjoyed it. Yours is definitely after market, but they did a qulilty job.
  15. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

PM me your email and I will have to take some dig pics of my old truck pics and send them to ya..
  16. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

why ty retired, was getting quotes on fixing some cracks on the top, and noone in boise wants to work on it.... and thats aside from a 4 day work week up here lol. and got quotes on the paint, 5k. am i just that off that i think that 5k is slightly overpriced for what it is? its not flake or anything fancy
  17. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

wow That is High Try a Maco shop.. I just got a Snugtop for my Avalanche. It was sitting on a Highway for about 2 years and needs a bit of work but a friend and I are going to do it next week then off to the paint shop....
  18. Crash_box

Crash_box New Member

well im going to try maco, but as for the top not a clue where to start.... and in my apt not much place to do it lol.but ill figure something out, or if need be find a collector for it lol jk. but ya i thought 5k was seriously overpriced for paint
  19. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I would see if you can google and do a look through some old Truckin' Mags or a old Mag called SUV today for some ads...