86 6.2diesel military?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Necred, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Necred

Necred New Member

I would like to get any opinons about this rig..Its auto 4x4 6.2 with 65k miles. Excellent body. 3k
    If this a money pit? pros & cons please.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

If it is a true military truck with the 24 volt electrical then yes! they electrics are junk in the military versions. If it is just a run of the mill std K5 blazer with the 6.2L diesel option then i would jump all over it. the 6.2L is bulletproof.
  3. Necred

Necred New Member

thanx for replying,, it is a pick up truck 1ton..,im only guessing but i believe the guy has had it several years, i spoke to his GF yesterday she didnt know much about it...So, i dont know of any mods he may have made, owner is out of state, scheduled to be back 1 Aug. However, i gave her my nbr to send him.
    Can you think of anything else i should ask? 24v? rear ratio?
  4. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

I have a friend that has the Mil Blazer here in NY and she drives it all the time.....
  5. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

The rear Ratio you can look up if you like the truck. Just be sure to ask for service history if they have had it. Also ask about the injector pump mainly has it been replaced. Also ask about the glow plugs since during the summer they are harder to see if they are working correctly thanks to the heat. Otherwise just like a normal car purchase look it over and if you have a question bring it to a shop that you trust to look it over.
  6. myanna129

myanna129 New Member

Hi I just bought a military chevy cucv M1009 blazer...1985...86kmi....i paid 4K.....i been drivin it so far...had to replace air and fuel filter...great gas mileage...mine is a 4x4 6.2 diesel engine too
    Anna
  7. Necred

Necred New Member

thanx for insight,, ill let yall know if i buy it..however, he wont be back in town until 1 aug.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

Myanna is the friend I was talking about... Welcome....
  9. vncj96

vncj96 New Member

The military had turbo and non turbo diesel motors for different vehicles there were also some 350 diesels as well. Every diesel i drove other then the up armor hummvee were dogs!! You could hammer it and you just kept waiting and waiting for it to downshift and take off, but they never did. Also remember its a military truck, that means even though it had very low mileage it sat for LONG periods of time inbetween drivings, also it was beat to ****, thats a gaurantee. the drivetrains are industructable that for sure and I know that I did my fair share of trying to bust them up but never did. Just be cautious and if something does break expect to pay some decent coin to have it fixed
  10. Welcome to the club, Anna.
  11. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member

If it is a military truck, it's going to have the 6.2L non-turbo diesel in it and a TH400 transmission. If it's a pickup with any body on the back (pickup, service, ambulance, cab&chassis, etc) it is rated as a 1.25 ton truck and has 4.56 gears front and rear. Front axle's a Dana 60 and the rear is a 14-bolt full-floater with a Detroit locker in it. It's run on a 24 volt electrical system, but really the only thing that's 24 volt is the starter.

If it's the blazer version, it still has the same engine and tranny, but it has 10-bolt semi-float axles front and rear with a 3.08 gear ratio. It's also a 24 volt system.

This wiki page can give more info on the CUCV line of military trucks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  12. Necred

Necred New Member

Ok, my update, the guy with truck never called m eback, his GF says he's still out of town & has my number. In the meantime, i have ran across a 86 cucv blazer...Guy says he has just put new glow plugs,, im suppose to see it today a 130. Not sure what to look for or ask him other than normal vehicle questions. UPdate tonight.
  13. Necred

Necred New Member

OK i looked at this blazer...The PO has had it 10 months he has installed glow plugs recommended from military site. It has leather bucket seats, no console, windows are good, lights work, it has 57k showing on odometer thats broke. Only rust other than surface rust is spot on hood above left head light. It is 24v no radio, heat works....Seems to shift well,,,Has wore out after market mudder tires. Idles fine, pulls to left when breaking. Obviously it needs tlc..can you install radio with 24v? $3400
  14. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

nice find.... I am going to build a box for Anna's truck that plugs into the Cig lighter It will have a Ant,cd/radio and 2 good speakers...
  15. Necred

Necred New Member

I havent bought it yet,,im trying to get more info. Would i need to do away with the 24v system to install radio in dash? or to hook up anything else 12v?
    What are the pitfalls to these blazers?
  16. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member

90% of the truck is still 12 volt, so installing a 12 volt radio should be pretty easy. The block-off plate where the radio mounts should be removeable and you can stick a regular 12v radio in. I think the doors and side walls should have the holes for speakers, but there will no wiring for them, so you'll have to wire them yourselves. The reason the military did the CUCV program was so that they could get "production trucks off the assembly line". That being said, aside from the little things that are different like motor and tranny, the bodies are identical to normal Blazers.
  17. Necred

Necred New Member

Can i change to a 12v starter & put batteries in series? Or is it not necessary? One guy has said if it 24v or doesnt have the serpentine belt to pass on it.
  18. myanna129

myanna129 New Member

I paid 4k for an 85 cucv...with 80kmiles.... Its good the glow plugs were installed...The less rust the better.....tires are easy to find...
    3400k for 57 miles is good....slight pull to the left is not uncommon....

try this website... www.steelsoldiers.com

from what i understand...a radio can be installed if you are talking about am/fm kind
    you can also get a communication radio installed..

contact enkeiavalanche for details on installing an am/fm radio

the website above is a great source of information on military vehicles..
    in these blazers...only the ignition and the fuel injections runs on the 24v system...all other things runs on the the single 12v. battery. you can install a radio to the 12v. battery..they also have radios and ipod docks that can be hooked up via cigarette lighter
    these blazers have two separate 12v batteries....it was designed that if one battery dies..it kicks over to the other battery
    I am still new to the hobby...... try steelsoldiers.com

Are you in new jersey? There are clubs you can join that are made up of military vehicle owners. I belong to the M.T.A military transport association www.mtaofnj.org and tristate mv www.tristatemv.com I do parades and get paid for using my blazer.
    If you want, you can come see and drive my cucv to compare. I can also have my friend, Artie, come with his cucv. I guarantee he can answer all your questions. Go look on my profile page for pictures of my truck.

hope this helps.
    Anna
  19. Necred

Necred New Member

20. myanna129

myanna129 New Member

Sorry, I missed the ebay bid..so when i tried the link...the sale already expired....so I couldn't see it. Did you win the bid?