Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

86 Burb won't shift

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by skullblaster, Jun 18, 2012.

1. skullblaster

skullblaster Member

Hey there. I have an 86 Suburbon, 4WD brand new 350 and now the 700R4 will not shift when I try to go. Reverse works great. everything that I have tried so far, from checking and adjusting the TV cable to the filter and fluid has not helped. Any ideas?

2. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to GMTC. Who did the install? Was the tranny functional before the replacement motor?

3. skullblaster

skullblaster Member

My brother and I did the install. The tranny worked for a couple months, then started to crap out on me. If I had the Burb in 4WD it would act like it was slipping out of 4 high.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It's really sounding like the TV cable was not properly set (NOT adjusted) when the motor was replaced. There is no adjustment to the cable. It MUST be in a certain position relative to everything else and if not set in that position, the transmission will burn out quickly.

5. skullblaster

skullblaster Member

So how much of a pain would it be to swap the tail shafts from a 2wd tranny and the 4wd? I know that I would have to pull them both apart. I have never really gotten into an automatic much before.

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That is a very good question, and one I do not have an answer for. I've though about doing that exact same thing in the past and didn't know if it was as easy as swapping the tailshaft, or required ripping the whole transmission apart to exchange output shafts. I do know there is a normal 700R4 case and a "K" 700R4 case, with the K being for 4WD usage. So, you would probably have to get a K case 700R4 to be able to bolt it up to a transfer case, unless you went with a divorced transfer case, but then you're talking fab work for the divorced x-case.

7. skullblaster

skullblaster Member

I have the case in my burb. I was thinking of putting the tranny from my wife's 88 Caprice in my rig to get the job done. After reading a few things though, I would have to pull both apart to put the good parts from hers into the case from mine.Then I'd have to rebuild hers. Maybe I'll just find one top swap and save myself a headache.