1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

87' S-10 2.5 issue

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by GearHead899, Sep 19, 2013.

1. GearHead899

GearHead899 New Member

sorry for my absence guys! turns out the issue was a bad ignition module. when i pulled the old one out i could see some corrosion on the prongs where the connector goes. ever since i replaced that it has been fine! WOOO! lol also we put on a new exhaust since it had none and was stupid loud. we just did a straight pipe off of the downpipe to a universal muffler we got online and did a side exit right behind the cab. still pretty loud but a ton better then what it was. My buddy also got bored and started rattle canning the exterior with primer (since it was about 10 different colors) so at least now its one color. will get some pics soon for you guys. Another question, my buddy wants to hook up a tack since there isnt one. how would we go about doing that on this truck?
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

The coil mounts to the top of the dizzy right? If so, you can get an accel tach install pigtail from the local autozone or oreillys to plug into it to make it all but plug and play

Good to hear about the module
  3. GearHead899

GearHead899 New Member

the coil actually mounts like under the intake manifold. not sure if that will work :confused:
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

IIRC, the 2.5L in the old S-10s was the "iron duke".
  5. BurbanMan

Oh yeah. That's right. I'll do some homework and fin my wiring diagram for the 2.5 I used to have.

Yes it is
  6. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

It was amazing that GM put that engine into a LOT of vehicles, including a Camaro!!!!

The Iron Duke was a very sturdy engine, but it almost sounded like a diesel it rattled so badly.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It actually is the engine in most USPS Mail Trucks because they are built on a modified S-10 frame. Most of those trucks are all still on the road after 25+ years of use.
  8. BurbanMan

The green wire goes to te white wire coming off the ignition coil.
  9. GearHead899

GearHead899 New Member

awesome! thanks man
  10. BurbanMan

anytime. I try