Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

87 Suburban brake controller Install

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by burbanguy, Jul 2, 2009.

1. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a Prodigy Brake controller to install on my Burb. What I wanna know is, is there an adapter I can get so I don't have to splice into the wireing or since the truck is so old, I'm just gonna have 2 splice into it?

2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

Attached Files:

3. bcoffman

bcoffman Rockstar 100 Posts

Yes, it is easy. I just installed one in my 89. The break pedal switch in mine was behind the panel under the steering wheel and it was in front of the pedal arm at top and I believe it was yellow. My control instruction told me what color it was.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure when you run your brake wire to the back, you use at least #12, #10 is better. And #10 or bigger for the charge wire. I don't know what you're planning to tow, but it's a good idea to use a relay for the charge wire. If you had a travel trailer, for example, you could use the batteries in the trailer with the truck off, and not drain the truck battery.

5. burbanguy

burbanguy Rockstar

Ok cool thanks. I'll be towing an enclosed trailer 8.5x16x7. Does the relay come with the brake controller or do I have to go out and purchase that along with the extra wires? Thanks guys and I really appreciate the fast responces.

6. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul Rockstar 100 Posts

buy it... usualy bout 7-10 bucks max

or steal it from the boneyard

7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't mess around with a used $10 part. Another thing you might want to do is get 2-3 feet of seven strand wire from a trailer dealer. Wire up your truck side plug to it on the bench. You can put some Fluid Film or dielectric grease on the terminals inside. Then seal it up well with some silicone. Now you have plenty of wire to make your connections, and you don't have to worry about your plug corroding.