1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'87 Suburban, vacuum hose question

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 10 Gauge, Mar 24, 2009.

1. 10 Gauge

10 Gauge New Member

Hello all! First post here, great place, thanks for having me!

Anyhow on to the topic.

I have an '87 Suburban V10 w/ a 350. I have what looks to be a missing vacuum line on a small electrical black box mounted near the throttle body.

In the picture below you can see the vacuum line on the top of this piece going to the EGR valve, and under neath that hose there is a nipple that looks like it should also have a vacuum hose on it.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what hose should be attached here and what it leads too? Or maybe it's supposed to be open like that? Any help at all would be great, thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

If that's the EGR bleed the hose should just go to the air cleaner. You should have a vacuum line routing sticker on the underside of the hood or cowl unless someone removed it.

Jim
  3. 10 Gauge

10 Gauge New Member

Yeah the truck is old and has been repainted about 4 times, theres barely anything left to identify it as a Chevy, lol.

I will check the air cleaner and see if I can find any nipples on it that I can attach a hose too, thanks for the reply!
  4. KirkW

KirkW New Member

On my '95 Suburban, that second nipple on the EGR bleed valve simply had a foam air-filter 'sock' over it. The foam element has long since worn away. It doesn't affect the EGR operation unless you're in a sandy environment and the bleed valve gets clogged with dirt, preventing bleed air from getting in and causing the EGR valve to remain on all the time.

Plumbing it to the base of the air cleaner would be a good way of getting filtered air to that valve. Hmmm, I should do that on my truck....
  5. 10 Gauge

10 Gauge New Member

Thanks for the reply, that sounds about right! I didnt notice any dangling hoses or places to plug it in so that definitely sounds right.

Thanks for the replies and problem solved. :)