Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

88 Chevy Stepside tail light issue

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by chevy-stepside, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chevy-stepside

chevy-stepside New Member

I have a 88 chevy stepside and the other day the tail lights stopped working. The really weird part is that I have brake on the passenger side only but when the headlights/running lights are turned on the brake lights dont work at all. The running lights dont turn on either. Everything works great in the front but not in the back. I tested the voltage at the connector in the back underneath the truck ad i have power for the running lights and brakes but doesnt get up to the lights. Today I ran new wire from the lights down to the connector where I have power but I have the same issue. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks

2. OldDawg

OldDawg New Member

have you checked the grounds if not try that

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You need to replace the tail light circut boards. They go out quite often and are a very common thing. Almost any parts store should carry them and i think they are around $20.

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I don't think we have "tail light circuit boards" on '88s Mike. I could be wrong but I've never seen them on my '88. Where would they be if we do have them?
    If I do have em I'm gonna be pizzed cuz that's why I bought "old" so I wouldn't have to put up with that fancy smancy crap!!

** Welcome to the GM truck club Chevy Stepside :)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  5. murdog94

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

No, I have the new body style Mike, it ran from '88 to '98. '87 was the last year of the old body style. Only diff between his '88 & mine is that his is stepside & mine is fleetside.
    If they mount to the lens housing then I don't have them cuz I've been in there.... whew, lucky me ha ha... I hate to think about how much those damn things would cost

7. murdog94

Oh ok i have seen a few 88s up here that has the old body style. (plow rigs) anyhow you should have them when you remove your tailights to replace the bulb then you have to remove the circut board since it is what the harness plugs into. And no they really are pretty cheap and last much longer than OEM. So that was my confusion on the truck since there are some 88s (i dont know if they are special order or remnants etc) that are C3500s up here. one i drove for the tow company as the tire changing truck.