1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

88 suburban - silverado aftermarket in-dash stereo install/mounting help

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by jason88silverado, Sep 9, 2010.

1. jason88silverado

jason88silverado New Member

New to the forum. When I bought this truck it already had a modern removable face cd player in it but the previous owner had sloppily hacked out the sheet metal and sort of shoved it in there so that it was just barely hanging with no support whatsoever. I want to install a newly purchased Sony MEX-BT38UW. Anybody have a lead on a proper install kit or some DIY mounting tips for an older truck like this? Thanks.
  2. countryboy73703

countryboy73703 Rockstar

if you don't have the old harness that was originally for the stock radio then you might as well forget about buying a harness for the new one... it's pretty easy to install a new one from just wires.. just a lil' more time consuming... as far as making a new 'holder' for the new radio there's a few options... you could take some mesurments and put some wood together then use fiber glass and mold it, and then stick 'er in there, or you could, but would look kinda ghetto, but just take a piece of sheep metal, or maybe diamond plate and over the old hole up and go from there, or just keep it covered, and just but the cd player some where else.. just keep in open mind, I mean it is an 88 so you don't have a whole lot of options unless you want to pay somebody to fabricate...
  3. jason88silverado

jason88silverado New Member

Thanks for the reply. Yeah,I hear ya. Be nice to see what some guys have done. Probably have to look in some magazines or something. I'd like to use the same slot and have it look stockish.