1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

88' Z71 4wd stopped working

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jagerballs, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Jagerballs

Jagerballs New Member

Hi there, my 4wd quit working on me the other day, and I can't seem to pinpoint what I need to get fixed. I checked the actuator, which seemed to be working fine going in and out, until I tried to compress it by hand, and it was pretty easy to do. I thought this wasn't normal, so I went out and bought a new one, only to plug it in and find little to no difference between the two. Without installing and trying the new one, I put the old one back in after trying to manually engage the 4wd myself.

Having the front end up on jackstands, I pushed in on the plate that the actuator engages, and i could spin either front wheel with no problem, while the other wheel would spin slowly in the opposite direction.

Without having the plate engaged, each wheel would spin freely and independently.

Does it sound like the pinion is stripped behind that plate that engages the 4wd?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I have very little experience with transmissions and 4wd systems.

Is there anything else I can try? I'd hate to have to take it to a mechanic if it is something I can do myself.

Thanks a lot!!!! Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

-Jason
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

bump .... anyone know?
  3. thatjerk01

thatjerk01 Rockstar

can u hear the transfer case try and change to 4x4?
  4. Jagerballs

Jagerballs New Member

4x4 issue

nope, doesn't make a sound...
  5. thatjerk01

thatjerk01 Rockstar

put all for tires in the air put the transmission in neutral the transfer case in 4x4 and spin the front axle and see what if the tires spin. the tranfer case takes a few thing as inputs to tell the transfer case to change in to 4x4. it could be the shift motor on the transfer case. it shifts it from 2 wheel to 4 wheel
  6. bigblue89GMC

bigblue89GMC New Member

One thing to check that happen to me is if one of your passenger side half shaft is sticking out of the axle a little. mine had a small washer that came out of place at the end of the axle shaft which wouldn't let the 4wd engage.