1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

89 2500 Sub sputters & dies under load - 350 small block

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bakerderek0, Sep 30, 2012.

1. bakerderek0

bakerderek0 New Member

I dont know what has happened during my tune up.The motor will idle & rev in neutal all day, but when i put it in gear & go to accelerate it starts backfiring & will cut off sometimes.

here's what I did this morning as a simple tune up:
    changed spark plugs to stock ACDELCO, same plugs that were in it.
    changed distributor cap & rotor, same cap & rotor style that were in it.
    changed spark plug wires, did one wire at a time to make sure I didn't mess up firing order.
    changed ignition coil to MSD ingnition coil
    changed air filter

I've checked the firing order twice, it right.

I dunno what the heck I did, any help is very much appreciated. :grrrrrr:
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Vaccum leak?...my brother-in-laws truck is a '96 chevy and his would do the same thing...found out it was a vaccum leak and all is good now!...just throwing that out there
  3. bakerderek0

bakerderek0 New Member

I'll check the vacuum lines again. Thanks.
  4. bakerderek0

bakerderek0 New Member

No, they all seem to have a good seal. As far as which hoses, I've checked all the hoses coming out of the throttle body.
  5. bakerderek0

bakerderek0 New Member

The problem may not be as severe as I originally listed. Sometimes the truck with back up the driveway, pull out the subdivision. But will start sputtering & backfiring when I get on the road. It seems to lose power & dies sometimes. I have to limp it back home sputtering & moving slow. I'm stumped...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I must add the truck ran ok before my tune up. I drove it an hour and a half from where I bought it without a problem prior to the tune up
  6. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

There are some combinations of miss wired plugs that will run and exhibit the symptoms you describe. There are aftermarket caps that look EXACTLY like stock but have an internal wiring scheme that allows the plug wires to be routed so that they do not cross over each other. Make sure the firing order matches the cap you have.
  7. bakerderek0

bakerderek0 New Member

Guys, I'm an idiot. #2&#7 spark plug wires were backwards. How I missed this when I checked the firing order twice, I have no idea....