1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'89 burban front end (axle)

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by whutdidyousay@yahoo.com, Jan 14, 2009.

1. I have a '89 suburban 4x4 that makes a horrible groaning noise in the front end. It gets louder or quieter depending on speed and load on the front wheels. It gets REALLY bad when I turn hard at slow speeds.
    I think it's either a bearing somewhere or the front axle u-joints. if more info would help let me know and I'll post more.
    My question is..... how do I tell what gear ratio and axle I have? I'm thinking of buying a used axle and putting that under there while I rebuild (or have rebuilt)this one... I'd like to keep it pretty much stock....
    Unless of course someone has a better idea for a stronger axle that won't break the bank.

Also how do I tell if the gears in it are good? when I changed the fluid (and friction modifier)it all looked good and there was no metal in the gear oil.

Thanks in advance people!!!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Just google GM VIN and you should be be able to come up with some breakdowns for your burban, you should also have a paper in the door jam that has a bunch of codes on it too, those will be more speciifc for your truck, like paint and axles and gears
  3. I found the axle ratio thanks to your advice. It is 3.42.
    Now I need more info on repairing the front axle. I plan on replacing the axle u-joints and everything outward and I think I have that covered. I need more on the inner workings.
    If I am to replace the pinion and carrier bearings and inner seals.... do I need to send it to a shop? I can get just about any puller and installer I need.... Just need to know what the process is. I would like to do most if not all of the work myself.
    Also how do I know 100% that the gears are good? I didn"t see anything scary when I was in there, but I'm not a gear expert....
    Thanks alot people.... I'll get this bugger fixed yet!