1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

89 c2500 Help!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Superlead76, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Superlead76

Superlead76 New Member

I just got an 89 C2500 for free and I am having some issues with it. Please bear with me as this is my 1st GM vehicle. I have been a die hard blue oval guy for years. Anyway, so here's the scoop. Got the truck knowing it had sat for over a year and needed a tranny. Here are the events that followed so please weigh in. Even if it's to bust my balls for being a Ford guy!! haaa....:happy:

Specs:

89 C2500
    700R4 trans
    2WD

Series of events:

1.Got the truck
    2. Got it running and it ran great
    3. Realized the exhaust was slappy so I replaced it. Cut off the cat and the muffler. I then replaced everything but the cat.
    4. Replaced the trans.
    5. Realized I had a hung caliper on the driver's side and replaced both calipers.
    6. Test drove the truck and it ran great!!
    7. Brought the truck home and let it idle in my driveway so I could clean up my tools
    8. The truck just slowly dies.

I have tried to start the truck and it acts like it wants to start but runs like crap!

Here's what I've done so far.

1. Checked the fuel pump and the filter. Both good.
    2. The TB is getting fuel.
    3. Replaced the IAC and the coil. No change.
    4. Replaced the MAP sensor. No change.
    5. If I remove the hose from the MAP sensor and plug it, it acts like it wants to run but runs really rich and if you try to give it gas it just stumbles and really wants to die.

I am lost on this thing. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Check fuel pressure and timing for starts. Let us know what you find.
  3. bob13

bob13 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would check the timing........for now just bump the distributor a little in both directions and see if it will fire.