1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

89 GMC half ton 700r4 tranny question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by farmerall, Apr 18, 2012.

1. farmerall

farmerall New Member

I am wanting to change the tranny in my truck here soon do to the one in it is going bad. The one I that is in the truck now won't shift past second and it's also a 200r4 that I put in used a little over a year ago. I have another used 700r4 that I want to put back in once I'm done with school in a few weeks. Here is were i need help. Due to Gm's design of the y pipe it's impossible to get the bellhousing cover off with the exhaust in place. I want to just take the tranny out and leave the torque converter on the flywheel. The I would try to line everything back so I can put in the other tranny.
    Would this work? I think it will be sort of difficult but do able.

Thanks in advance
    Matt
  2. farmerall

farmerall New Member

Anyone?

Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to fix my truck I just need to knwo if I can do it with out removing the the torque converter.
  3. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

If the torque converter is interchangeable, I don't see it being a huge deal. However, it is a hell of a lot easier to get the torque converter back into the tranny when the whole case is out than to fight it underneath the truck. That's just my experience, though. Some have a notch in the tail shaft to line it up right, and some don't so you may be good to go.
  4. farmerall

farmerall New Member

Thanks

I would prefer to take out the torque converter but the exhaust is in the way so I can't get the bell housing cover out first. The only way to do it is to take the y pipe off the manifolds but they have bad studs that will most likely break causing more problems. They other way which I have done is to cut the section of the y pipe out under the bellhousing cover then reweld in the piece of pipe once the tranny is back in.
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I hear ya, I ran into the same problem with my Ranger when I rebuilt the engine on taking the manifolds off. Either way you do it, good luck!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. BoneHead

BoneHead Member

Do a google search to see if the 200r4 and 700r4 torque converters are interchangeable. I was always under the impression that they're different for each transmission. However, If they are, I see no reason why it wouldn't work like that. Just take a look at the input shaft on the trans to see if it's "keyed" and eyeball where the key is. Rotate the input shaft on the other transmission so it's close and you should be able to put it in gear and rotate it a little to get it in.