1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'89 sub barn door cargo light switch

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by BluBurb89, Jul 5, 2010.

1. BluBurb89

BluBurb89 Rockstar 100 Posts

I hope this is the right forum for this; if it is not, let me know.
    Does anyone know if this switch that turns on the cargo area light when the right rear door is opened: is repairable or where I can get a new one? Has anyone experienced this issue or know how to rectify it
    [​IMG]
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That's a very good question. I'm not sure. I don't think LMC stocks this part. They also don't stock the contacts above it for the electric locks and defroster. Chevy does not have a part number for it anymore either. I think the junkyard is your best bet.
  3. BluBurb89

Thanks CD,
    In LMC CSB.31 the contacts are listed #'s 47 thru 49 under 'power door lock: rear cargo doors' but the switch is, as you pointed out, not carried. I've scoured the local junkyards and have found a couple but they are either defective or I have an unknown additional issue.
  4. raf1231

raf1231 Member

With a bit of ingenuity and a trip to Radio Shack, you might be able to create a new plunger type switch similar to switches used by alarm installer. You might want to stop by an auto alarm outfit and see if they can fix up something for you.

You're running into the same kind of problems I've been having with my '92. I tried to order a new DRAC/VSSB speed controller to modify because of going to larger tires. I got 2 responses of "not available; on indefinite back-order". I didn't want to modify the original in case I screwed it up but I had no choice -- I modified the old existing one. It worked. Our Subs are getting too old for a lot of parts. It makes you have to start thinking outside the box.
  5. BluBurb89

Randy,
    Thanks, I had thought of your suggestion as a last resort; but I was hoping to keep it as original as possible, as long as possible. I've built up a small stockpile of OEM replacement parts by scouring the junkyards; some after-market parts are better but some are just real junk. Tomorrow I'll be headed 60 miles northeast to scavenge an '89 r2500 that was used as a command vehicle by a rural FD. You never know what's out there you may want or need. I've managed to pick up side glass, vent windows, windshields, hoods and OE fenders NIB for pennies and some time. The problem is now becoming storage and finding the part when I need it .
    Ted