1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

89 suburban hvac questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Twithers, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Twithers

Twithers New Member

I recently picked up this suburban and the first day I had it i flipped on the blower and it came on fine and then quit a few minutes later. I'm looking for some tips on this.

I have checked the resistor and it has power to it and good resistance.

There is a fuse holder bolted along with the resistor. It had a 5a fuse in it that checked bad, so I replaced it with no change.

I did a visual inspection of the blower motor and it "looks" ok, although I'm not sure how to check it electrically.

There are 2 hoses coming out of the a/c core housing (the box the resistor is installed in) that look like water hoses that go to nothing. What are those for? Rear a/c?

I have pictures, but I'm not sure how to attach them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so i got the blower working, even though I couldn't tell you how, but there is no heat coming out even with the truck warmed up and I don't hear the a/c clutch kicking in like i did before.

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To upload pictures, click the icon in the reply toolbar that looks like a picture. It's 3rd from the right. There you should be able to browse and select the picture.

I would definitely like to see some pictures to see what's wrong. I have a 91 which is the same bodystyle and I should be able to pick out anything looking not right pretty quickly.

3. Twithers

Twithers New Member

UPDATE

Figured out why there was no heat.

One of the previous owners had put a bypass hose from the radiator to the port by the distributor. No clue why. So I. Hooked up the 2 hoses I mentioned in the first post and now I have heat. I thought perhaps it was bypassed because the heater core was leaking, so I expected to see a leak in the floorboard when I put the hoses right, but it didn't leak.

Any idea why else someone would go to the trouble to bypass that?

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It was most likely bypassed because it leaks like you guessed. However, it may not be apparent that it's leaking and may take a day or two to be noticeable on the floor.