'90 accessory won't work?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by trenchwarfare, Nov 1, 2007.

1. trenchwarfare

trenchwarfare Rockstar 100 Posts

The key won't turn back, so I have to put it foward and drain my battery even more. What's up with this?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

It seems to be a fiarly common problem in Chevy steering columns from say, 88 to 91 at the least. I had the exact same issue in my 91 suburban before I replaced the sterring column, and by association, the ignition cylinder and such. My best friend's 88 S-10 blazer had the same issue. I'm not 100% sure where the problem lies, but it almost seems like the rods going down the column to the ignition switch bind up or something. It's quite annoying. Luckily, when I replaced my steering column, the accessory position worked in the new column. Hit or miss I guess. If you find a solution, I wanna know though :)

3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

How worn is your key? was the lock ever replaced? goto a lock smith and get a key cut to code not a copy of your key and see if that makes it work. do you have a factory key for the lock you can try it but not a copy of a key....this is a copy of a worn key and it gets worse on each copy....mike

4. trenchwarfare

I figured that was the case. The dumbass I bought the truck from had two sets of the most worn keys I've ever seen. Should I just replace the locks or will new keys be adequate?

5. JayMack75

JayMack75 Former Member

New keys will be fine, and less expensive as well.

6. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Makes me wonder. My accessory position has never worked on my 93. I'll let you know what I find out.:glasses:

7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does this vehicle have a tilt wheel?

I ask because I had a similar problem with our 79 plow truck. The tilt wheel just flopped in the breeze.

My problem was a broken column after years of jumping in the truck holding onto the wheel.

But it can be something as simple as moving the wheel, column up and down while turning the key.

8. trenchwarfare

It does have a tilt wheel. I'll have to try that too. How do i find out what key I need to have cut?

9. JayMack75

JayMack75 Former Member

Drive it to a locksmith's shop. Tell them you lost the keys and you need to have new keys made. Sit back and see how long it takes them to figure it out...:lol:

10. trenchwarfare

So I'll have to wait to get it legalized? Windshield, inspection, registration, insurance, and a few other things to do before I'll be driving it.