1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

90 burb rear leaf swap, removal tips?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by burtfishmonger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. burtfishmonger

burtfishmonger New Member

Just got done with 6 hours to get old leafs out and put in rough country 2" leaf.
    Removal, especially the main end leaf bolts, took everything to gt those buggers out, ended up cutting on with a cutting wheel. Could not get those bolts out!

Anyone else struggle with this?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Cant say I ever have, though I probably will soon. I'm pulling the leafs on my 91 to replace the leaf spring bushings. Was it just because the bolts were rusted in place, or because it appears to be impossibly hard to get to.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

ON the leafsrpings that i have replaced in the past i have always had to cut the bolts, and the Ubolts for the axle since they were rusted in place.. And the Ubolts stretch when you put them on so they are basically only good for one use.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you install new U-bolts make sure you retorque them after about 500 miles.
  5. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Make sure to re torque everything, just to be on the safe side, you wouldn't want one of the leaf spring bolts to come out and use the body as a stopper would you? And yes, i've had that problem with the bolts, on my friends 79 chev we had to cut every bolt off, the bolts that hold it to the frame, and the u bolts. Make sure your axle is supported if you're cutting u bolts, or else you'll get a shock. haha we did
  6. burtfishmonger

burtfishmonger New Member

Crawdaddy-
    what we ran into was the bolt had rusted/bonded to the sleeves inside the bushing. We pounded one out, front-rear, heated the heck out it and melted the bushing.
    Both rear-rears came out fine.
    Other front had a tweaked saddle and we were able to get a citing wheel in there.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you happen to recall what size the nut was? I need to pull my leafs still to replace bushings and I don't think I have a wrench big enough currently to fit it. I can borrow the wrench though, once I figure out what it is. Bigger than 9/16, I know that, 5/8 maybe?
  8. Crawdaddy

Yesterday I got outside with some regular flat combination wrenches to try to find one that would fit that nut on the inside. By the time I got to wrenches that seemed like they might be big enough to fit the nut, I couldn't fit them into the cramped space anymore! How does GM expect me to get those bolts out without cutting!!!! :grrrrrr:
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Im thinking they dont really ever plan on those bolts to come out since the suspension is one of the first things on the frame at the factory where they have tons of room
  10. Crawdaddy

I swear they must have put the springs on the mounts before mounting the mounts onto the frame. I need to see if my uncle's set of stubby wrenches will go that big. It seems my only other choice is to possibly cut the bolt, or remove all the rivets holding the mount to the frame, and then have to replace all the rivets with new bolts... Ugh. Anyone want to come down and change these bushings for me? :)