90 c1500 350 automatic

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by okysmokey911, Dec 4, 2009.

1. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Alright so this is a question about my dads truck. The title says what kind of truck it is and it has 317,000 miles on it ( gotta love chevys ). Recently there has been an odd noise that comes and goes. The noise sounds like metal spinning against metal. The sound seems to be coming from under the middle of the cab. I was thinking U joints because they are still the factory joints. Usually when u joints go there tends to be vibration and its not vibrating. I know this is a very general question, but I am somewhat stumped on this one.

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well at 300k miles on factory u-joints you've got your moneys worth. It would be a good idea to replace the u-joints even if they aren't the source of your sounds. U-joint failure while in motion can be dangerous.

Here is video of a noisy u-joint
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QN7t6EApo"]YouTube- Noise[/ame]

3. cwbontheyfz

cwbontheyfz Rockstar

well if its a manual trans it could be the throw out bearing

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Considering the miles its a good bet its the U joints causing the noise. And if it isnt they were still due for replacement.
    THe flywheel and starter could also be at fault but if you have no other issues as to starting I would be less suspicious of them.

5. okysmokey911

okysmokey911 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well the truck is definitely having starter issues. It makes that really windy noise when you try to start it... like the starter is not catching the flywheel. Yeah U joints are going to be replaced.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Might be a good idea to pull the starter and check the condition of the flywheel. Couldbe some gremlins lurking in there.