Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

90 gmc sierra with fuel pump issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tahoe815s2003, Jan 16, 2011.

1. tahoe815s2003

tahoe815s2003 New Member

I just bought a 90 short wheelbase sierra with a 4.3 and a 5 speed without hearing it run or crank,i got a battery for it and cranked it and it wouldnt fire ,sprayed a little starter fluid in it and it will run and die.i can hear the fuel pump kick on but took the fuel filter off and no fuel comes out,the guy told me he put a new pump on it but is there any way he could have got the lines mixed up and the fuel is going to the return line? or are they different sizes

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I doubt he could have gotten the fuel hoses switched without forcing them :) Maybe the fuel tank venting is belly up. Take your fuel tank cap off & try cycleing the key/pump several times & see if the pressure builds. Also check at the inlet side of the filter for fuel supply. He may not have replaced the filter & it could be plugged.

3. tahoe815s2003

tahoe815s2003 New Member

I took the filter all the way off, there was some fuel in the line but when i turned the key on and the pump kicked on no fuel came out,im going to take the bed off so i can get to the tank easier, plus it has been sitting for about 8 months with a full tank of gas,so could some water be in the gas and froze in the cold weather this last week or so?ice would clog the in tank filter wouldnt it

4. stephan

Yes, if there was water in it, then an ice blockage could be your problem. If you have compressed air available to you, try blowing back through the line from the filter back to the tank. NOT a lot of pressure, just a little & be sure & take the gas cap off. See if you can hear it

5. tahoe815s2003

tahoe815s2003 New Member

ok i got another question... will a 5 speed out of a 94 s10 with a 4.3 fit in a 93 fullsize chevy truck with a 4.3... im worried bout the shifter location

6. stephan

I don't know the answer to your 5 speed question, but how did your original fuel pump problem turn out??