1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

90 K2500 4-speed to 5-speed

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by txmike, Sep 25, 2009.

1. txmike

txmike New Member

Hi All,

Been lurking here off and on for a while, but I think this is my first post.

I just bought a really nice 1-owner 90 K2500 truck, and it's great except that it has an old fashioned granny low 4-speed and drives like an old 66 I had years ago. I'd like to at least switch it to a 5-speed to get the overdrive. I had a 93 2WD years ago with a 5-speed and it drove more like a car transmission.

What are my options for the most straightforward swap to a 5-speed? What was stock? I would prefer an NV4500 but don't know if it will bolt up etc..Any advice would be appreciated.

What would really be awesome would be a Dodge NV5600 swap. Wonder if anybody has ever done that?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mike
    90 K-2500 reg cab long bed
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

The 5 speed will bolt up, If I remember you need the 5 speed clutch, pressure plate, and bell housing also.
    Look at Advanced Adaptors, they were making adaptor kits to put the NV5600 in different trucks.
    A friend of mine runs an NV5600 behind a GM 383 crate motor with a divorced T-case in his Jeep CJ, he bought the adaptors from Advanced.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Yep, the NV4500 will bolt right up and you will have a great transmission with granny low and overdrive.