1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

90' silverado 8 or 6 inch lift for 38's?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by rshelton, Aug 23, 2011.

1. rshelton

rshelton New Member

Hello

I have a 1990 Silverado flatbed, I am looking to put 38" BFG mud terrains on it, my question is, will a 6" lift of any kind fit those tires? I dont care if its tuff country, super lift, sky jacker.. whatever, I am just trying to figure out what lift will put my truck high enough to fit 38's. I am also considering a 2 inch spacer to set the wheels out quite a bit if that helps anything?

Also, if i go 8 inches, will i need to lengthen either of my drivelines? and what affect will the high lift, tires, and driveline do to my gearing? I was planning on gearing it down anyway but if anyone knows what size of gears will be best please do tell.

any help would be great, thank you!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. If your truck is a 1/2 ton you will need 9" of lift for 38's. Go with a 6" suspension lift and 3" bodylift. This way you won't need any drive shaft mods. Also if it is a 1/2 ton, there axles don't really like any tire over 35" tall.
  3. rshelton

rshelton New Member

yeah i have heard that, would it be worthwhile to get a straight axle conversion?
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts

If you want to get it on with 38" tires, then go with a 1-ton front straight axle and rear axles. A GM corporate 14 bolt for the rear can be found at most auto recyclers.