1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

90 Z71 350 timing

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by damnTRUCK, Jun 5, 2012.

1. damnTRUCK

damnTRUCK New Member

so after reading other posts on here i assume i have a wire i should be unplugging before i set the timing.
    my question is how and why does this affect the timing?
    are you not able to just move the distributor around till you get it? really would like not to have to buy a timing light lol

also i think the post i read was for a 94 and they only had a single-wire connector (tan/black wire) and some one told me mine should be a two wire plug. i see neither of these behind my dash. are there other types that mine might have?

thanks, the site has been really helpful!
  2. redvett

redvett New Member

You must have a timing light to set timing, the tan/black stripe wire at the buss bar on the firewall needs to be disconnected and timing set at zero.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea before you mess with the timing you really want a timing light. If you get the timing out of whack you could really cause problems for yourself.
    If you have a local Auto Zone see if they have a loaner timing light you could use.
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member 100 Posts

The wire you disconnect disables computer control of the timing advance and puts the distributor at base timing. I suggest you locate a friend who has a timing light and knows how to do it on your truck. Let him (or her) show you how to do the job correctly. If you don't know what you're doing, you can mess things up pretty easily. If it's running okay and if you haven't moved the distributor for some reason, it probably doesn't need to be adjusted anyway.
    Good Luck and God Bless