1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

900 mile towing concerns ~ 1996 GMC Jimmy

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by dante36445, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dante36445

dante36445 New Member

ok, I've had my 96 jimmy just over a year and i'm looking at renting a 6x12 uhaul trailer to move almost 900 miles from Illinois to Alabama to save a couple hundred bucks on the trip over renting the 17 ft truck and having to put fuel in 2 vehicles. my dad and father in law are both concerned that pulling a trailer that size and loaded that far will put a terrible strain on my tranny, and it now has me worried about it. the trailer fully loaded will be between 4000-4500 lbs and tandem axle with surge brakes, if it helps. am I just being paranoid or do I actually have a legitimate worry?

96 jimmy 4dr 4wd
    4.3 vortec/4l60e
    class III receiver
    trailer weight empty-1800 lbs
    expected loaded weight-4000-4500 lbs(high estimate)
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Tow in 3rd, not overdrive.
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Never hurt my 99 when I would pull a 20ft bass boat loaded with my camping gear every weekend. Just make sure as stated above that you put it in 3, not D. A tranny flush and filter change wouldn't hurt either if it's not far from due. Put some Lucas in the tranny when you do it. Works wonders. My 99 had over 300k miles on the original drivetrain when I sold it still running like new.
  4. dante36445

dante36445 New Member

I have no doubts it'll pull it, just worried about the distance and speed. almost 900 miles at 55-70 the whole way. I just want this to go smoothly and not have to get picked up halfway there in my dad's ford because my jimmy couldn't make it.
  5. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

+1 and take it easy!
  6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Here's where I am..... you only have a V6, that kind of a load for 900 miles is going to generate a lot of heat. Heat will kill the transmission and the possibly the engine. You need a transmission cooler and I would suggest, an engine oil cooler would not hurt. This load will also consume a lot of fuel.

If it was me, I'd rent the big truck and tow the S10
  7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have a Blazer and pulled a trailer to Canada and Back, with no problems! Take it easy as in, you don't need to keep up with traffic..........
  8. dante36445

dante36445 New Member

[MENTION=58876]JimmyA[/MENTION] what was the weight of the trailer? i'm moving a 2 bedroom apt and a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 in this thing.
  9. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Dante, just out of curiosity do you know what your vehicle tow rating is, or how much tongue weight you will have.
    Even with surge brakes, you may need to consider a WD hitch connection.

I'm thinking more along the lines of RayVoy, get the bigger truck and pull the jimmy.(preferably on a flatbed trailer)
  10. dante36445

dante36445 New Member

tow rating for the trans and receiver is 5000. don't know the tongue weight but if I had to guess it'd be around 28-3200. cant tow the jimmy because the uhaul truck wont seat 4. don't really wanna throw that kind of money at a WD hitch or trailer brakes for one use. not really wanting to throw that extra $500 for the truck and fuel costs either but its really starting to look like that's what I might have to do.