1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

91 1500 radio issue...NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by wyldhorse, Mar 29, 2012.

1. wyldhorse

wyldhorse New Member

For quite some time the radio in my dads truck has been broken. the clock is stuck on a certain time, the factory equalizer doesn't come on, and the end result is no radio.

I want to say years ago I read that it was some brain unit to the radio that is broken and needs to be replaced. Is this true? If so, where can I get the part(s) to fix it?
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Not sure if that is true, but below is a link to find used auto parts if a new (whatever you need) is either too expensive or you can't find.

http://www.car-part.com/
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would think that your best bet would be to pull the radio and take it to a local radio repair place. If you can not find one locally, there are some that you can ship it to and they will check it out. I an sure if you google it you will find one. Either that or put an aftermarket radio in.
  4. wyldhorse

wyldhorse New Member

I'll see if there's a part that fits the description. Thanks :)

I just realized, I think this might be in the wrong section as well....sorry

I'll have to check into that as well. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was some sort of box that controls all of the audio parts that went bad since the factory equalizer doesn't come on as well.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

No worries at all, you're close enough here :glasses: . I just wanted to make sure you did not end up with responses in the Members Into area telling you to ask your question in the other section and then a duplicate thread was started. Thanks for mentioning though!
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You can get a good Aftermarket Radio for as low as $79.00 Kits will cost you $30.00 I would just go this way..
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that the 91 Has an odd sized radio. The radio box is under the dash over the gas pedal and the controls are on the dash. I don't know that I have ever seen an aftermarket that would be able to fit properly even with the adapter kit. Any of the older trucks that I have seen with after market radios had them cut into the dash under the heat vents. Not something that I would do to my truck. I could be wrong about what is available. I found this on ebay, Not sure if it is what you need
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-94-GM-CH...ELCO-RADIO-AM-FM-AMP-/130671809728#vi-content

if you scroll down on this page they have the dash kits and the piece to fill the pocket if you decide to go aftermarket

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp?q=gm 1991 silverado radios&qs=ti&ga=us10&ts=go
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yes there is a pocket that goes in the radio space and the aftermarket radio goes where the Cass is.. If I remember right.

Check www.metraonline.com to get the part #'s
  9. redreatta

redreatta New Member

howdy, had a similar issue. replaced the "box" and replaced the radio with ones from the junk yard. it was easy. the the radio went out again, so i took the eq out and bought a aftermarket radio and had to run some new wires. i bought a radio bezel at wally world with vents in it. i just dont use the original one, it just holds the time now
  10. wyldhorse

wyldhorse New Member

I think my dad was hoping to keep the factory radio, so I'll have to check on the radio box. I'll run the aftermarket idea by him to see if he's changed his mind since that's the way I'd probably go, and just put the aftermarket radio where the factory equalizer is.