1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'91 GMC Vandura - Serpentine belt chirping

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rgnprof, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rgnprof

rgnprof New Member

Hi, new to the forum, but not new to auto forums. I have 4 old Mercedes so I spend a lot of time on the Mercedes forums. Haven't driven my GMC van much lately, but we have had it since new! It has 198,000 miles on it and I am planning on driving it from OK to OR at the end of the month. It is the 4.3L, with PS, AC, and the AIR pump - and is a "part of the family"!

I just fixed the AC - reman R4 compressor, new drier, condenser and converted to 134a. Works great! But, following the conversion I noticed a chirping noise coming from the front of the motor in the belt area. I assumed it was the belt and tensioner, which I replaced. Chirp seem to go way for a day or so, but now it is back. Tone of chirp changes with RPM's - and stays constant with AC on or off, so I don't think it is related to the new compressor. I have tried the stethoscope and the rubber hose technique and I just can NOT isolate the location. I have noticed tonight that it goes away after the van gets good and warm. I am probably going to replace the idler pulley, but it sounds like it is coming from the alternator, maybe the water pump??? It is a very definite "chirp", not really a squeal...

Any thoughts?? Thanks.

Ryan