91 instrument Cluster to an 88 Chev

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Aleks2505, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Aleks2505

Aleks2505 New Member

Hi everyone...this is my first post here, so bear with me. I know this topic has been covered numerous times, but my question/issue is a bit different and can't find info on it, so hope to get some opinions.
    I am trying to do a cluster swap to my 88 Chev 2500 V8, as I have those ugly moonies and no RPM gauge. I was lucky enough to find a 91 "needle" cluster with dials, which has the same connector on the rear (these were only made in 91), and from all the research I have done, I am told that this should be a direct swap (less the speedo correction, which I can deal with later). Well, came home, took my cluster out, put this new one in and the only thing that works is the right turn signal and the seatbelt light. Nothing else lights up. Took the cluster completely appart, and I cannot see visually anything wrong with it, like dark burn marks or bulged up capacitors. Just wondering if anyone knows how to test these things or have any thoughts at all. I made sure the cluster is plugged in properly and tried to press in harder and moved it around, but nothing will make it work the way it should.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.:shocked:

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's good to have you aboard. I don't know about your cluster problem but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. :glasses:

3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. enjoy the site. I agree with Donyms. someone will