1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

91 K1500 - hood stuck - help!

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by wmbriano2grad, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wmbriano2grad

wmbriano2grad New Member

Thanks. I'll try this. Shouldn't those two bolts come totally out and allow the hood to open with the latch mechanism still attached to the hood?
    Brian

2. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Well, I guess that would work, too. :)

I don't remember if there's a tab on the latch that slides into the core support. Let us know what you come up with...
  3. wmbriano2grad

wmbriano2grad New Member

Success!! I got a small wood wedge in between the grill and hood until I had about a 1/4" gap, then wrapped some tape around a big crowbar (since I didn't have a large wedge) and hammered the crowbar in unit I had just over a 3/8" gap. I was then able to take the deep 13mm 3/8 socket and hammer it in sideways with the extension attached. It was downhill from there. The socket popped in passed the chokepoint and went right on the bolt. I took both bolts all the way out in about 30 seconds and the hood came right open.

There's very little visible damage to the hood or grill. Thanks for the idea kidhauler! Now I can get a new cable from the junkyard.

4. KidHauler

KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good to hear you got it open. Good luck on the cable repair, and we'll look forward to your next visit.
  5. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Sure you don't want to consider a brand new cable?????? a cable from the salv yard could be in no better shape than the one you had.