1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

91 wanting to die at lights [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by dave91sub, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave91sub

dave91sub New Member

Does anyone have anymore ideas for wanting to die at lights?

Mine is doing the same or sort of the same thing, along with the stop lights while coasting down hills, it wants to die too.but when running down the road its fine.

I have read all the posts and changed or checked every thing that can be checked. in my 91 its the ODB1, and I do not get any codes, when this is happening the check eng light does not come on, some times it runs like nothing is wrong but this is happening more and more.

I've checked for leaks and changed all tune up items, changed the alt, unpluged the AC, dont need that now in alaska, its gotten cold here but this was stalling when it was warm too.timing is good, I dont know what more to say I'm just at a loss now, any help please
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

RE: 91 wanting to die at lights

What's your powerplant Dave? How many miles, etc?
  3. dave91sub

dave91sub New Member

it has a 350 tbi with 700r4 trans, as far as miles- dont have a clue the odometer stoped at about 140,000 at my best guess that has to be at least 60-70000 miles ago,
    i have checked and rechecked everything under the hood, but never checked the fuel pump, that is where im going now, the only problem is that it runs bad but not all the time so i might check something and it is good by the test but not all the time, the only part of the system that hasnt been checked or changed is the fuel pump, if you have a different outlook/idea please no one can seem to figure this out its been to two different mechanics and they come up with the same idea - buy a newer rig, this is not what i want to do . thanks dave
  4. ChevyFan

Well, the small block chevy at some point is going to break down in different areas. You're talking about something with 200,000 miles under the hood.

Now, that being said, you will notice that there are quite a few guys on here that have Suburbans with high miles. The secret is regular maintenance and replacing stuff when it goes out. So your point is well taken. Something is going wrong ... what is it?

If you've checked everything under the hood, I'll skip stuff like plugs and wires. Believe it or not, I had a car run rough once becuase the snap-connector on the plug wires was breaking ... go figure.

Do you have plans to work on fuel delivery and the pump?
  5. dave91sub

dave91sub New Member

yes in the next few days (when i get some time- not much of that now adays) i plan to run a pressure test of the fuel system and see what i get the book says i should have 9-13 psi in the line to the tbi with this information i should know alot more, would there be anything else that i should be looking at before digging into the fuel system, i really dont want to change the pump but i dont want to break down in the cold, its been 20 below for the last 2 weeks,
  6. dave91sub

dave91sub New Member

tested the fuel system, psi was good so i started over testing everything, capping off the vac to the egr valve, test drive and it stopped wanting to die, last time i vac tested the egr valve not a running test, i am replacing it when it comes in and then rehook the vac line and see what happens, i guess this is what happens when you have a problem that is not there all the time.
  7. ChevyFan

EGR could be the culprit. Either a bad unit or vacuum leak to it. The problem went away though when you capped it off?
  8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bad EGR Solenoid. Sounds like EGR is working fine.
  9. dave91sub

dave91sub New Member

now you got me thinking, should a egr valve hold a vac, mine does not. the vac lines test good, but the solenoid, i capped off the solenoid and the problem is gone, now i get a service eng light, i think it would be from the oxy sensor the way that the book reads on how the egr works, but i turn the truck off and then back on and the light does not come back on, it has only come on when i run at highway speeds, and now the idle is a little high
  10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just want to be sure, I understand this. You disconnected the vac line on the manifold side of the solenoid, tested the solenoid and it held no vac? If that is true, then the solenoid is bad, you should replace it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.