92-99 Burb owners - in car entertainment?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

What have you done for in-car entertainment?

I'm considering buying some lcd screens and sinking them into the back of the headrests. The other option is some roof mounted DVD movie unit, but I'm afraid it would block or interfere with the HVAC controls. I think the newer Burbs have factory options or the roof is less cluttered for easier lcd mounting.

Ultimately all I need is some sort of screen, as I'm going to build a Car PC to store movies/music, etc.

Thanks

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Wow! That sounds ambitious. Are you going with a solid state drive for the PC? The prices have been coming down, but I don't know that if they are practical for Video storage. Laptops have "drop" sensors that shut down the drive. Have you looked into a PC version? I have a Del laptop I use in my work truck everyday and it hasn't had any failures in the field, but I have had a hard drive failure every year or two that might be related. Keep us posted and don't forget the pics.

3. Kraziken

I don't think I will do SSD because of cost. There is nothing I'm planning on storing on the car pc that is really valuable data.

I had planned to build one in my other car, but it has a sport hard suspension, so I'm concerned about the machine dying. The Burb is a plush ride in comparison. It should be fine and I have a spare laptop drive ready for this project.

I've considered doing the headrests myself, but I just haven't had the time. I will probably build the PC first, then have a shop do the LCD installs for me.

4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I went the easy route for road trips. I bring the laptop and installed a power inverter in the suburban for charging.

Have a look at this post to see if it gives you any ideas.

5. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've thought about doing drop down LCD's as well. The headrest screens will work well for the middle row, but the rear row will have a harder time viewing.

6. Kraziken

Yeah, I thought about that as well, but I can't see where to mount the screen without interfering with the HVAC controls on the roof.

I'm considering modifying the second row to have lcd screens as well.

7. ct9a

ct9a Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well, keep us updated with what you decide to do. This is something that I really need to do with the long road trips and 5 kids.