1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

92 chevy cheyenne stereo instal

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by knexster, Feb 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. knexster

knexster New Member

The truck came with no stereo at all Looking at installing my own but not sure what junk yard trucks i can pull from. Could anyone with a truck like mine take a pic of where on the dash the stereo is located. Tips/advice greatly appreciated thank you!
  2. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

My recommendation is putting a cd player in it. The aftermarket solution would go almost in the dead center of the dash between the passenger and driver. Normally on those trucks the radio is just to the right of the steering column but has no cd player.
  3. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

Buy an aftermarket unit. You won't be sorry. The trick is to get it installed where your old one was. I have a 94, and my double din radio is still in the truck and they installed the aftermarket unit in the center lower dash. I did not want the OEM unit removed because it was so big and it had buttons for the clock, and I wanted that part of the dash to look original. You might need your original information as far as the options ordered on that truck to figure out what stock unit to look for, if you insist on getting the stock radio. There is a way to go to the Chevy dealer, give them your VIN and they can look it up for you.
  4. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

On the 92s that factory unit is not a double din and without modifications to the dash (cutting) you won't get a single or done me din to fit in there, the center dash location is where 99.9% of aftermarket radios are installed in those trucks.
  5. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm sorry this post is a little late, but just caught the thread.

These are the best pics I can find.....The last pic is from a 1990 but it appears to be the same as the '92. I hope they help!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. knexster

knexster New Member

thank you for the suggestions, After badly cutting my hand open attempting to cut the radio wiring from the harness I came back the next weekend to cut it open worse. the amount of wiring involved in the factory radio is just sickening not to mention the blood shed to retrieve it. I asked how much a from scratch install would be and they want 200 with no speakers but all the wiring or 150 just wiring. I have a feeling this is not as difficult as I am made to believe. I attempted to youtube videos of stereo installation but they are done on vehicles with pre existing radios, not from scratch. the research begins! and when I learn how to wire once in from scratch it will be going straight to youtube!
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would attempt to go with a touch screen where the stock one goes if its possible. As far as speakers I just put some in my truck that was about 25$ from Walmart. I miss doing the wiring on those trucks especially the Cheyennes, not as many wires to put up with like on my SLT.
  8. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

There aren't any aftermarket radios that will fit in the stock location (that I am aware of) The best course of action is to install a stereo in the center of the dash and buy a "pocket" to put in the dash to take the place of the factory stereo since it would look silly with 2 radios in it. the stock location is NOT a 2DIN opening!
  9. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Here are some pics of an aftermarket install. The pocket was purchased..I have no idea where tho. The kit for the headunit can be purchased also to install under the vents.

Aug13#06.JPG Aug13#07.JPG
  10. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

It actually looks better if you leave the stock "radio" in the truck and do the center install. I have it that way, and you notice that area way less if you leave the OEM stuff put than if you have a pocket there, which draws the eyes to it more so than if you left the old stuff in place. That stock "radio" has a clock, and that is what will be displayed all the time if you put in another head unit in the center of the dash. The rest of the buttons that are there blend in with the dash as a whole.