92 exhaust questions

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cooter71, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cooter71

cooter71 New Member

okay so i have a 92 k1500 and im wanting to do a full exhaust from the manifolds back. whats the best material to use? and can i use the factory Y pipe and just cut it so it's two outlets?
  2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

I would take it to a muffler shop ..explain what you want... Do you have a inspection in your state?
    Some will not pass dual exhaust.This means two cats ,two muffler ect.
  3. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

a street used vehicle cannot be modified like that by a shop, its against federal law and a $25,000 fine for them to remove the cat to do duals in that manner, off road use is a different story, does not matter if it is a non emission state as its federal epa rules, they can change it after the cat to duals but not before the cat. for a person to do it them themselves if they do get caught they can get a $10,000 fine, i had managed a midas muffler and you learn these rules really fast.
  4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Yuup why i told him to take it to muffler shop...they will not believe me.
  5. cooter71

cooter71 New Member

well i'm going to put magnaflow cats on and some kind of muffler, but to be honest, i could give two ****s about the cops...and my inspection is a lick & stick job
  6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Yeah boy wait till you get pulled over ...yes sir ..no sir... lol
  7. cooter71

cooter71 New Member

Well if people can run around with cummins runnin 5" straight pipes and not get any crap, I think my little 305 will be fine
  8. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

When you lose your license you'll give a ****, cops in Ma are strict as hell I learned my lesson.
  9. cooter71

cooter71 New Member

okay well im in middle of nowhere pa, i didnt ask anyone any questions about cops, or laws. just exhausts
  10. outalne94z71

outalne94z71 New Member

save yourself the headache and just buy a aftermarket kit, they took care of all the guesswork, just hacking your pipes and running duals most likely will not scavenge properly and your motor will not run right, and just end up as another truck making a bunch of crackle and not going anywhere.

even most types of drag racers still use a x pipe so things are not actually true duals and that is done for a reason, two single pipes does not work well, you lose all kinds of power from poor scavenging
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012