92 GMC Sierra K1500 4x4 tach jumps and dies at random while driving?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by anzerdogg, Jul 18, 2011.

1. anzerdogg

anzerdogg New Member

Ok so this has just started happening in the last couple of weeks. I will be driving and usually when the truck gets up to temp the tach will start to jump all over the place and the truck dies. I can start the the truck right after it dies and the tach will jump around some more then die once again. If I let it sit for maybe 2 to 5 minutes will start fine and usually will run for the rest of the day, but it has been progressively getting worse. I changed out the fuel filter today just thinking maybe it was fuel delivery, but still same issue. It is the 5.7 TBI I checked the injectors one looks kind of melted, but still delivering fuel in a perfect cone. I also checked the pump once it died and it is still priming fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would get the ignition module checked.. Also is the check engine light on?

3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

I 2nd the ignition control module. It sounds like it's failed from heat, and started to melt down. Your tach is hooked directly into it, which would explain that, as well as the whole dying thing.

4. anzerdogg

anzerdogg New Member

Yea the check engine light just started coming on yesterday when it dies, but once I let it sit a couple of minutes the light goes away and truck runs fine. I will get the ICM pulled and tested today and post afterward. Thanks

5. anzerdogg

anzerdogg New Member

Sorry it took so long, but I did get in and test it. It failed 3 out of 12 tests so I replaced and truck has not died yet. Thanks for you help

6. Leprechaun

Leprechaun New Member

Just had to get on here and voice my appreciation. I ran into the exact same scenario and symptoms. I had no idea what was going on, because I didn't have the luxury of a "check engine light" to allow me to use a scan tool and help narrow it down. This forum rocks! I too replaced my ICM (whopping 5 minutes, consisting of two small bolts and adding insulating grease) and problem solved! Thanks so very much!