1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

92 silverado severe oil leak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jimwest, Feb 12, 2010.

1. jimwest

jimwest New Member

Have a 92 Silverado 350. It has dripped a small amout of oil from the rear of the engine just ahead of the transmission for several years. Suddenly the leak has turned to a geyser! Engine suddenly pumped out 4 qts of oil in 5 miles. Stopped at gas station and put 3qts of oil in. Started engine and looking under the truck I could see a pressurized stream of oil coming out. Could real seal failure result in a leak like this or should I be looking for some other problem? Thanks
    Jim
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

sounds like an oil pressure sending unit which is located on the top of the motor behind the distributor
  3. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have a engine oil cooler it can be a line either disconnected or a hole in it. Gotta get dirty and climb under your truck. Good Luck!:great:
  4. jimwest

jimwest New Member

Found problem and thanks to all

Problem turned out to be the "O" ring seated between the oil filter housing and the block. Messy job with all the oil under there. Thanks to all.
    Jim
  5. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Sometimes the O ring from the old filter will stick to the block and then when the new filter is screwed on you have a double layer of O rings that don't handle the pressure.

Don't ask me how I know this.