1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

92 Suburban K2500 Front Drive Shaft U-Joint Removal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by corvetteman, Sep 8, 2012.

1. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Does any know how the U-Joint caps are held in the yoke on the front drive shaft?
    I’m unable to see a clip of any kind on the inside or outside of the yoke in fact the caps are flush with the outside of the yoke.
    The only clips I can see are on the other two caps.
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

check inside the caps inside the yolk
  3. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Unable to see any clips or snap rings inside or out on the two caps in the yoke.
  4. bazar01

bazar01 Member

Maybe the two caps in the yoke are staked in multiple locations. If you look at the outside of the cap and yoke, do you see any crimped sections?
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I looked at 4 different sites and they all show the replacement as having (4) inside clips. So, I would have to assume that yours has clips inside the yoke also. Sometimes they are really hard to see with all the grease and dirt in there. Feel around in there with a small flathead screw driver and see if you can feel the lip of them. If they are the original u joints there may not be clips. They are held in with a molded plastic. This requires you to heat the joint to the point that the plastic shoots out of the little holes on the ears of the yoke. Fast forward this video to about 2:20 for an explanation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=073tYBBRQqA
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  6. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Thanks for the vidio Pikey. I was wondering what those dimples were for. I saw them and couldn't figure out what they were for. Must be original u-joints. Twenty year old u-joints…WOW!!! Got a lot out of them.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You can't complain about that! 20 years. How many miles?
  8. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

178,000 and doesn’t burn a drop of oil!
  9. pbrackett

pbrackett New Member

You da man Pikey! thanks for the post - those little knobbies were puzzling me also.