1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

92 suburban won't start- ignition problem?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by vintage_car, Apr 17, 2010.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

The symptoms were turning the key and it wouldn't click, you turn key off and on a few times and it would fire up. I thought it was the solenoid on the starter was going bad. So I replaced the starter after it just wouldn' start anymore.(It has a new battery btw). Just found out I can turn the igniton without a key in it from off to start position... So I'm thinking I need a new ignition switch... unless there is something else I'm missing? I did check the ignition fuse and it is good.
  2. dannys99

dannys99 Rockstar

I think you best bet is to start with the ignition switch like you said.
  3. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

I had an 88 Jimmy that was so worn that it did not need a key and started fine. You may want to look at the wiring from the battery to the Starter. I read a post a few weeks ago that turned out to be a wiring issue. Here is what he found.

4. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

thanks for the wiring option will check that first. I have never replaced an ignition switch...how difficult is it?