1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

92 to 94 swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Burnout, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Burnout

Burnout New Member

I have a 1992 chevy C1500 2wd with a 4.3 v6 stick shift with a bad body and chassis is rotted if i buy a 94 chevy 2500 4x4 with a blown motor but doesnt have a spot of rust on it would i be able to put the V6 from my truck into that truck i dont know what motor it had in it or what kind of transmission yet and is there any problems i could run into? is there anything else i would need to do this?
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If the 2500 has a 4.3, 305 or a 350, the engine should bolt up fine to the transmission. You will need to change other things, but you have a donor truck for that... Fan shroud, computer, etc. It should not be a problem.
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Chances are it had a 5.7L with a 4L80 tansmission. 4L80 transmission is a bit longer than a 4L60 so the crossmember that it mounts up to won't be where it needs to be to mount up your trans. The 4.3 would fit no problem, its just a beefier, heavier frame and that little 262 will have a bit more trouble getting up.

If I were you, I'd find a 5.7 (350) that was probably in it and drop that in to a 4L80 since it would be a more or less direct drop in.
  4. Burnout

Burnout New Member

yeah im probably just going to leave the transmission alone unless i do put the v6 in it and the transmission seems bad since as far as i know the transmission is good... and yeah id like a 350 but im getting this truck for basically free (scrap price) so after i do it after i scrap mine and the blown motor ill come out even so free upgrade and maybe later 350 lift kit ect.
  5. Burnout

Burnout New Member

thanks man if it had a 350 do i need different motor mounts or should it be fine?
  6. rileyjr16

You would need different motor mounts to swap from 4.3 to 5.7.

BUT if you want to go with something performance and a basically stock replacement and reliable, look into a 383. I think [MENTION=12279]Tachyon[/MENTION] has done this swap and he loves it.
  7. Burnout

Burnout New Member

8. rileyjr16

As far as I know.
  9. Burnout

Burnout New Member

hopefully it goes pretty smooth
  10. Tachyon

Tachyon Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm thinking the 4.3 might drop in as far as motor mounts go. Though mounts would be the least of my concerns.
    The big issue would be fore/aft location. This may require custom motor mounts or at least reuse of the mounts from your 4.3 donor truck.
    I would guess there will be issue with the tranny location and line up of the tranny mounts.
    The computer and electronics will be the biggest issue. You may have to look into a custom harness. Maybe from Painless - http://www.painlesswiring.com/
    You might also want to see if Advanced Adapters has anything for that swap. - http://www.advanceadapters.com/

Oh, and yeah. The GM crate motors are awesome and may end up being less hassle and in the long run less cost. You don't have to spend as much as I did for the HT383E, though I can't recommend that swap enough. They also have plenty of other crate motor options. Don't forget a GM crate motor comes with a 3 year warranty. 2 Years for GM Performance Parts products like the HT383E.

Another option would be GM's awesome E-Rod engine which comes with all the electronics, hardware, and smog gear.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012