'92 truck running rough

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Eric W, Mar 23, 2014.

Newest Photos

1. Eric W

Eric W New Member

Hey guys, I,ve read alot of helpful post but have never posted on any forum or blog or anything. But.... I need some help. I have a 1992 Chevy truck 2WD, 5.0 TBI that I bought new and have taken good care of. It now has 298,000 miles on it. It started running rough after it warmed up. When I would give it the gas it would spit and sputter and backfire. Remember... this is after it warmed up. It runs great before it warms up. Anyway, I decided to get a kit a rebuild the throttle body. I found it clogged, dirty and the fuel pressure spring was broken. I got it all put back together and was proud to get it fixed. But ... same thing. It ran great until it warmed up. Pulled code 32. R+R the EGR. I got it all put back together and was proud to get it fixed. But ...same thing. It ran great until it warmed up. Pulled code 15. R+R coolant temp. sensor. But ... same thing. Now it won't put off a code. I checked the TPS with a multi meter. I looked at the distributer and all around for vac leaks but don't know how to test for leaks. Fuel pump comes on when the key is turned on but I don't have a pressure guage. The exhaust looks fine but I did notice a intermitting skip in the sound of the engine through the exhaust but you can't hear it by just listening to the engine run. It still idles fine (most of the time) after it warms up but you have to be real gentle on the throttle to rev it up or it will spit and backfire and go dead. Then it's hard to start without letting it sit for a while. If it would give me another code I'd know what to do. Thanks for reading. I don't really know how this forum thing works but I hope somebody will send me some ideas that I can read. Thanks again, Eric W.
  2. mseybold

mseybold New Member

Fought the same system on my 93! See if you can borrow fuel psi gauge and check fuel psi. Think is to be 9 to 11 pounds of psi .I was certain mine wasn't the fuel pump. We drove it in shop to paint after body work do to deer collision. New fuel pump fixed