Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'93 1500 Suburban with a Hyperthech Chip, what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by AdvSwede, Jan 12, 2013.

1. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

I recently purchased a '93 Suburban 1500, 5.7, Auto, 4x4. I am contemplating installing a Hypertech chip. Hypertech offers two chips. One chip is the Street Runner Power and the other is ThermoMaster. Can I expect any mileage improvement with either of these chips?

2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

With the power chips you'll generally see a decrease in MPG, as they just dump more fuel into the engine. I'm not sure about the Thermo chips, but I think they also end up dumping more fuel.

You're better off with the stock chip. If you want to try getting a gain in MPG, find someone to do a custom tune for your truck. You probably won't be able to get much if any with that truck though, as it's TBI.

Best way to get most MPG out of that truck is stay in 2wd, keep the tires inflated to ~40 PSI, and keep your foot out of the gas (smooth take-offs, and don't gun it).

3. AdvSwede

AdvSwede New Member

Thanks, that is what I thought.

4. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

If you want a tune, then take your truck in for a complete dyno tune. I have not been impressed with mail order chips, since they are still pretty general. And like dobey said, the best way to get better mileage is to take some of the lead out of your foot!! That's the part I have been having most trouble with myself!