1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

93 Burb. Doors will lock, but not unlock with switch???

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by djturnz, May 25, 2012.

1. djturnz

djturnz Member

Weirdest thing, the unlock switch appears to be not working on both driver and passenger door. The doors lock, but won't unlock. I can manually move the slide, but the power switches seem to only work in one direction. All the fuses are ok under the dash, but I didn't expect a bad fuse due to the LOCK function working just fine.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  3. djturnz

djturnz Member

Do you know where the door lock relay is located?

And what is the convenience center?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Relay is located:
    Front seating area, driver side, behind dash, passenger side of brake pedal support, mounted in relay block .

I don't know what the convenience center is. It could be referring to the fuse or relay box?
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a very similar issue on my suburban, but, I'm pretty sure my issue is related to the locks being 20+ years old and very tired. Might try the relay though.

As for the convenience center... If you find it, lemme know. I have literally torn a 99 dually apart looking for the mythical device and never found it.
  6. djturnz

djturnz Member

I was thinking that the convenience center is the driver side switch array. In most instances, it's a black wire to ground in the diagram. I just assumed it's the control center for all the doors and windows, so it's the convenience center. Not sure though.
  7. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

my 88 has the same issue. I thought it was normal.
    I can lock it with the power door lock but no power unlock. I use the key :(

I actually replaced the right power door lock with a "new" used one and same thing.
  8. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Yeah, I'd look at relays. If it goes one way, but not the other, I wouldn't put the actuator at the top of my list. If it manually works both ways, I wouldn't put the handles or linkage at the top of my list. Relays are definitely a primary suspect and pretty cheap/easy to replace.
  9. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

The door panels are easy to pull off. Do it and see if the actuator(s) are even trying to unlock. They do get tired and often only work in one direction when they start to fail. My Barn doors wouldn't lock or unlock. Rear passenger doors, both lock, and try to unlock. Cleaned and oiled them up, now one unlocks. Front seat locks both work good.
    Oddly, when locked the rear passenger doors will not unlock manually.
  10. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

and, if they aren't even trying to move at all to unlock, but can lock just fine, it points to something else, like a relay or switch.