93 Burb Starting Issue--Old faithful letting me down!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Tagerman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tagerman

Tagerman Member

I have a 93 Suburban and it sits most of the winter but always runs like a champ when I go to start it up again. Yesterday after sitting for a month and a half with 1/8 of a tank of gas it wouldn't start. I finally got it to start but it idles funny and stalls if you give it a lot of throttle. If you ease on the throttle the truck will run fine and not miss all the way up the RPM range. This was yesterday. Today the truck won't start at all. Would a clogged fuel filter cause this? What other parts of the truck could cause this issue? Any help is appreciated! Also it isn't throwing any codes.
    Thanks,
    Trent

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would have to guess that you have some bad fuel/ water in the fuel. I have have always been told that with boats when you store them you want a full tank of fuel with a stabilizer additive. I was told to do this by many boat mechanics in my area. A full tank of fuel gives less room for condensation to develop leaving water in your fuel. You could try adding fresh fuel and a dry gas/water remover to the tank and see if that improves the idle. When I my 95, that was not driven often, I would add stabil to every tank of gas. I never knew how long it was going to sit and did not want the fuel to separate and gum up the system. I never had an issue with it running, even after it would sit 6+months.

- - - Updated - - -

You might want to open the ail filter box and make sure that an animal did not make a home in there. I have seen many stored vehicles have nests in the filter box

3. Tagerman

Tagerman Member

Lol checked for an animal. Water in the fuel makes sense leave it to me to spend a day winter ozone the boat and forget to stabil the truck. A new fuel filter is $8 so I'm going to put a new one on and add a gas dry addictive. It ran like a champ when I parked it so I'm hoping its nothing big. I'm sure I'll be back soon!

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd say look at the fuel.
    Gasoline produced now days doesnt store as well as it used to, with the new blends their making for emissions compliance fuel go's bad in a short time.
    I had issues with my boat engine near the end of the season only to discover I was getting a gel in the fuel filter if I let the fuel sit over a couple weeks, after talking to a friend of mine that owns a boat repair shop he said this issues getting to be common, now most shops are even rethinking the idea of winterizing a boat with a full tank of fuel, it may be more harm than good with the fuel blends were buying. I winterized with a full tank of fuel and a bottle of Stabil this year and plan on adding a bottle of octane boost when I pull it out to use it in the spring.

5. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Checking the fuel pressure is the sure way of finding out what's going on. You can get cheap gauges now that are good enough for the shade tree mechanic.

6. Tagerman

Tagerman Member

Quick update. Fuel looks good replaced the fuel filter and added some heet to the tank. Truck still won't start. Definitely getting fuel out of the injectors. Checked the ignition coil and it is sparking. Noticed corrosion in the wire so I'll replace it and the battery died so after I let it sit on the charger I'll check for spark at the plugs I suspect now spark has to be my issue I have air, fuel, and compression so that only leaves one problem

7. Tagerman

Tagerman Member

Okay so still no luck on starting the truck. I even sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body and it didn't even try. Had oriellys test my igniter and it is good. What else should I look at here could something else in the distributor be bad? I'm completely lost.

8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you checked the distributor cap and rotor? I have seen caps and rotors corrode and rust on the tabs causing a rough idle or a no start. You may find something if you pull the distributor cap off. If you are getting spark to the distributor but not thru it then I would suspect a cap/rotor issue. You could always take it off and clean it up with some sand paper. If it starts then you have your issue. I have also seen the "button" in the middle of the rotor corrode to the point that it was not making contact with the center pin in the distributor. While you have the cap off you could always mark the position the rotor is in, then bump the truck over and make sure that the rotor moved.