1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

93 K1500 Clunking while driving

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by wgwebel67, May 27, 2013.

1. wgwebel67

wgwebel67 New Member

Hey everyone! New to the forum but many Chevy trucks over my 45 years on this earth. Here is my problem, bought a 1993 K1500 and 3 days later the reverse went out so had the transmission rebuilt and rear driveshaft U joints replaced. Now as I drive it I have developed a clunk that happens at random speeds and sometimes 3 quick in progression. A few times when I have gotten in the gas to go up a highway hill I get a heavy clunk and the transfer case shifter pops up into neutral.....I let off the gas and shift back to 2WD and move right on down the road. I haven't been able to pinpoint the clunk as it feels like it moves around the drivetrain randomly. However it is more evident on a bumpy road. I guess the popping into neutral concerns me the most and I am hopeful someone can give me an idea in what to look at. Thanks!
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If the T case shifter is popping out of gear that would indicate to me theres a good possibility either the T case and trans mounts arent tight enough, the mounts may be worn and need replacing, youve got a worn shift fork in the T case, or the drive chain in the T case is loose and popping hard enough to knock it out of gear.
    The transfer case tailshaft/drive shaft yoke on these trucks has also been known to cause a clunk, but I've never heard of it being hard enough to knock a T case out of gear.
    I'd look at the mounts and their fasteners first.