93 K1500 tranny / rear end question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by coachg08, Nov 23, 2012.

1. coachg08

coachg08 New Member

I just had a 93 K1500 4x4 given to me from my father in law as he doesnt have time or motivation to mess with it. Truck has a brand new 350 in with maybe 10k on it. He was telling me that he thinks it needs a new rear end. Well, after doing some research, i see that the transmissions on this era of truck was a bit of a problem (mine is manual). My question is, how can i tell if its the rear end or tranny that i need to look at rebuilding / replacing? I personally would like to swap out the rear diff any way and opt for something with a higher gear ratio but if i dont need to do that and just have the tranny rebuilt, id just assume do that. The truck is basically going to be a ranch / light trailer / beat around town truck.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

If it's a 4x4, you can't change the rear axle ratio without matching the front to it. YOu haven't described your problem here. Does it not move at all? Does it make noise? Have you checked fluid levels in the transmission, transfer case, and rear end? It may be as simple as a bad pinion bearing or axle bearing.
    Good Luck and God Bless