93 suburban transmission removal

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vintage_car, May 29, 2010.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

how difficult is it to pull the transmission and re-install it on a 93 suburban. I'm fairly certain mine is toast. I have removed and reinstalled a transission on a small import car, never a large truck. i'm a decent shade tree mechanic. any tips or tricks?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The T-case and trans as a complete assembly is real heavy, I recommend separating them before removal.
    I'd use a trans jack to do the job if at all possible.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not too difficult of a job. Not fun by any means though.

What is the current trans, and what is your plan for repair? Junkyard transmissions are a huge gamble. Make sure you flush the trans cooler in the radiator, and replace the stacked plate cooler in front of the radiator.

4. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Its more physically demanding than mentally. Pretty strait forward job. If its a 93 its a 700r4. I wouldn't buy one of those out of a junk yard seeing as they are all junk..I'm about to put the 4th trans in my truck. Smoking one about every 30k since I build the engine..I would find a good trans that's build up otherwise its a lost cause

5. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

well the tranny leaked tons of fluid when I was pulling a boat. I mean tons! put 10qts through it in 30 miles. I have degreased it and am about to slide under and see what caused it. I had heard these transmissions were weak and if I do decide to replace it, it will be with a rebuilt- not going salvage yard route. With that much fluid coming out, I'm hoping I just blew out a gasket or line broke somewhere....

6. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

fluid seems to be leaking from the weep hole on the bellhousing... what does that indicate?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Front seal or pump seal. Either way, the trans will have to come out.