93 suburban transmission removal

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by vintage_car, May 29, 2010.

1. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

how difficult is it to pull the transmission and re-install it on a 93 suburban. I'm fairly certain mine is toast. I have removed and reinstalled a transission on a small import car, never a large truck. i'm a decent shade tree mechanic. any tips or tricks?
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member

The T-case and trans as a complete assembly is real heavy, I recommend separating them before removal.
    I'd use a trans jack to do the job if at all possible.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Not too difficult of a job. Not fun by any means though.

What is the current trans, and what is your plan for repair? Junkyard transmissions are a huge gamble. Make sure you flush the trans cooler in the radiator, and replace the stacked plate cooler in front of the radiator.
  4. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member

Its more physically demanding than mentally. Pretty strait forward job. If its a 93 its a 700r4. I wouldn't buy one of those out of a junk yard seeing as they are all junk..I'm about to put the 4th trans in my truck. Smoking one about every 30k since I build the engine..I would find a good trans that's build up otherwise its a lost cause
  5. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

well the tranny leaked tons of fluid when I was pulling a boat. I mean tons! put 10qts through it in 30 miles. I have degreased it and am about to slide under and see what caused it. I had heard these transmissions were weak and if I do decide to replace it, it will be with a rebuilt- not going salvage yard route. With that much fluid coming out, I'm hoping I just blew out a gasket or line broke somewhere....
  6. vintage_car

vintage_car New Member

fluid seems to be leaking from the weep hole on the bellhousing... what does that indicate?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Front seal or pump seal. Either way, the trans will have to come out.