93 Suburban wont run right when cold/ and restart when hot

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by doran_73, Sep 16, 2010.

1. doran_73

doran_73 New Member

Hey i Jason. I am a machinist for a race car shop outside of Cincinnati and during race weekend i am at the track as a tire changer. I have owned a 1993 K1500 suburban for about 5 years. Last year with about 247,000 miles the original motor broke a lobe off of the crank. Luckily my dad had a motor that was out my grandpa’s 1983 suburban. The motor was pulled out and built. About 2 months later my grandpa wrecked the suburban. According to my dad and uncles the motor only has about 2,500 miles on it and this is what has been done to it

bored .40 over, racing cams, light weight crank, pistons, valves, lifters, rockers, aluminum heads. complete performance exhaust

Since doing the motor swap the suburban has been driven about 2,000 miles. I doesn’t like running when it is cold. Until the motor get up to temperature it doesn’t like to respond to throttle and when coming to a stop it wants to die. And as of recently when I drive it for like 15 or 20 min and then turn it off it will not start back up for like 45 or 50 min. Any suggestion on what the problems might be would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hi Jason,You would probably get some good help with your engine problem if you posted this in the powertrain tech department on the forum main page.Good luck and welcome to the club!

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site....Unfortunately, I cannot make any suggestions, but I am sure someone will be able to.

4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

*****thread moved here*********
    welcome aboard and moving it here should get you some great response, and if you have any questions about the move please PM me.

6. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

You might try advancing the timing a little bit. If you're running TBI, they're pretty particular about that.

7. dualdj1

dualdj1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Please post more details about your setup. Carb or fuel injected? Could have bad idle air control, timing could be off, vacuum leak, or fuel pressure/plugged filter/ other fueling issues. sounds like an air control or fueling issue though.

8. doran_73

doran_73 New Member

The motor is fuel injected; it has a new fuel pump, filter and lines. And it does not throw up a check engine light