93 V6 Sierra. Need significant performance upgrade on a budget. Advice?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Corverra, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Corverra

Corverra New Member

I have a pretty basic 93 Sierra V6 2WD. I love my truck but it really needs more power as frankly the 4.3 is too weak. I have a budget of about $2000 and I'm looking for an effective performance boost. A V8 swap of some kind is certainly what I would prefer. Realistically I'm thinking about either a tbi 350 or a tbi 454. I can do the work myself so labor costs don't factor in. The only thing I'm iffy on is wiring, so I would prefer a swap that doesn't involve difficult wiring.

Given my position, with a $2k budget, what would you do? 350, 454, junkyard turbo kit on the 4.3, or something I haven't thought of? I'm open to suggestions.

Right now I've got a line on a complete, good condition 2WD 454 3/4 ton Suburban with a spun bearing for $1200, perhaps less if I can talk him down more. I figure I could buy that, get whatever parts are needed for an engine rebuild(should be no more than a few hundred but I may be wrong?) and then swap the engine, tranny, cooling system, rear end, driveshaft(shortened I'm sure), front springs and perhaps hubs(just to match the 8 lug rear), brakes, and anything else needed. Then part or scrap the rest of the truck and sell off my Sierra's drivetrain. On balance I figure I'll be in it for no more than $1500. This is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Thank you for reading and thanks for any suggestions.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year is the 454 Sub? If it's a similar year TBI, should be fairly easy swap, but you will likely have to swap the wiring harness over.

3. Corverra

Corverra New Member

94. I thought I put the year in there, sorry. Will it just be engine harness or chassis/dash harness as well?