Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

93 V6 Sierra. Need significant performance upgrade on a budget. Advice?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Corverra, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Corverra

Corverra New Member

I have a pretty basic 93 Sierra V6 2WD. I love my truck but it really needs more power as frankly the 4.3 is too weak. I have a budget of about $2000 and I'm looking for an effective performance boost. A V8 swap of some kind is certainly what I would prefer. Realistically I'm thinking about either a tbi 350 or a tbi 454. I can do the work myself so labor costs don't factor in. The only thing I'm iffy on is wiring, so I would prefer a swap that doesn't involve difficult wiring.

Given my position, with a $2k budget, what would you do? 350, 454, junkyard turbo kit on the 4.3, or something I haven't thought of? I'm open to suggestions.

Right now I've got a line on a complete, good condition 2WD 454 3/4 ton Suburban with a spun bearing for $1200, perhaps less if I can talk him down more. I figure I could buy that, get whatever parts are needed for an engine rebuild(should be no more than a few hundred but I may be wrong?) and then swap the engine, tranny, cooling system, rear end, driveshaft(shortened I'm sure), front springs and perhaps hubs(just to match the 8 lug rear), brakes, and anything else needed. Then part or scrap the rest of the truck and sell off my Sierra's drivetrain. On balance I figure I'll be in it for no more than $1500. This is what I'm leaning towards right now.

Thank you for reading and thanks for any suggestions.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year is the 454 Sub? If it's a similar year TBI, should be fairly easy swap, but you will likely have to swap the wiring harness over.
  3. Corverra

Corverra New Member

94. I thought I put the year in there, sorry. Will it just be engine harness or chassis/dash harness as well?