Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

94 Chevy project

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by 2hot2handle, May 5, 2012.

1. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Hello all!

It's great to be apart of this community now and I look forward to learning a lot. I'm a complete newb and I'm planning on using this project as a way of familiarizing myself with trucks.

So here it is, I'm just going to jump right from the frying pan and into the fire.

I have a 94 K1500 chevrolet suburban that I am looking to restore to its former glory.

This ol'girl has roughly 250k on her current engine and is completely original. The engine is starting to sound tired and sucks wind in when driving in the mountains.

The ABS acts up whenever hard breaking is done. The brake pedal will kick in early vibrating violently before slamming to the floor and the truck just keeps on going. I've been doing some research and am considering simply removing the fuse for the ABS and driving without it.

All of the seatbelts are shot and need to be replaced, along with the 2nd row bench seat. I want a bench or captains chairs back there with proper head rests.

I'm sure this is overly ambitious but I would like to rebuild the engine myself along with any pertinent upgrades. I need to know what is possible to achieve at home and what needs to be taken care of by a professional mechanic.

I'm currently looking for literature online for Chevy Suburbans, on hold at the library I have Chiltons 1990 to 1999 book. Also I'm considering investing in some engine rebuild books such as these: http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Your-Small-Block-Chevy/dp/1557880298/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1932494219/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

I know I've forgotten some information but this will do for now. Thanks for your help and participation!

2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!! Sounds like you have great project going on....should be fun to watch it all come together. Post some pics as well when you get a chance.

Below is a link to an on-line Chilton's, much more exhaustive than the typical auto-parts store version. However, you can only access the site from the link in post #61, so ignore all other links in that thread.

Good luck with your project and definitely keep us posted!

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...ton-site-link?highlight=chilton#axzz1u0fmIch8

3. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I found some huge GM service manuals at a used book store for only $10 a piece (I got two of the series of 4 books). They are packed with every single detail about these trucks!

4. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Alrighty then,

I have been burying my nose in all the information I have been able to dig up the past few days. I got a copy of the Chiltons book I will need from the library and have been browsing it along with internet forums and articles. I'm going to buy two copies of this book, one to use while working on the car so I can take notes on it and get it all dirty and hte second book to keep in the house and study.

I am also looking at GM service manuals per Janikphoto's suggestion.

Thursday I will be meeting with a friend of mine who is competent in engine rebuilding so I can start to plan exactly what I will do with this ol girl.

Here are some before pictures of the fair lady.

P1000056 (640x480).jpg

P1000055 (800x600).jpg P1000058 (800x600).jpg P1000059 (800x600).jpg

5. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that come together. That's a nice looking suburban and looks relatively clean to start with for a rebuild. Have you had it for a while or did you just buy it as a project vehicle?

6. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome...

Your project may seem ambitious, but only if you plan on keeping on the road during your restoration process.

If you are able to park it and wrench it, the transformation will be a fairly smooth one.

While the SBC's are known for a high mileage life, why not take the step into immortality and do an engine rebuild.

A fresh engine can really make you love your new project even more.

Definitely keeps us posted...

7. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Jeremy: This vehicle has been in the family for it's entire life. My grandfather bought it new, gave it to my father to haul us 4 kids around and now my father is letting me try and fix her up. My mother and father are rather fastidious: explaining why it is in such a clean condition.

Johnson03: That is the plan, I've loved this vehicle since we first got it. I'm too stubborn to let her go. My parents wanted to sell it or donate it however I managed to talk them out of it. Now she's my project. I am planing an engine rebuild and no she isn't going to be a main driver so it doesn't really matter how long she is out of commission.

Meeting with my friend today, hopefully he will be able to give me some information and $s that will set this project in motion.

Also one last thing. There is a short in the electrical system somewhere so the engine drains while being garaged. We have a trickle charger on the battery right now to band-aid this problem but I'm searching for a more permanent solution. Any suggestions?

8. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

so how much are you planning to spend on her?
    I have 1 1988 which my in law owned for mor than 12 years. He probably put less than 10K miles since he has so many cars. I have it for a couple years and right now at 178K miles. The car is OLD and has its problem. Most of the problem are easy fix (even I can do it) Just finished the headliner last week. Some problem I can't fix, I have the shop do it. But I have to say every little problem adds up ($$$) $50 here, $50 there...I keep track of how much I spend on that suburban and since I owned it, probably ~$1500 already and my wife keeps saying "STOP IT" :)

9. BBslider001

BBslider001 Member

watching with anticipation :sign0196:

10. BBslider001

BBslider001 Member

Any updates?