94 Engine swap

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jbuggs, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Jbuggs

Jbuggs New Member

I am new here to the forum and i have done some research but not finding exactly what i am looking for. I bought a 94 SWB chevy Cheyenne about a year ago with a 4.3L and its starting to go out on me so i was looking into swapping the motor for a 5.7 vortec from a 98 silverado or maybe a 5.3 from a 2002 silverado. which would be easier to swap as far as motor mounts, wiring harness things like that. Also what transmission would be best paired for either. Also will i have to swap out the dash as well. I have already started tearing down the front end to make it a little easier to swap.

2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

I personally would waste my money on a vortec. There isnt enough mpg/power difference to make it worth more than a tbi 5.7 IMO. I think bang for buck would be best used on the 5.3. You can get a complete truck that has been wrecked for $2500 or less. only thing you would have to pay extra for is the mounts/exhaust.

3. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 500 Posts

I have to agree with Burbanman. A 5.7 tbi would be the way to go. The vortec is a complete different computer system, dash and all. As for the transmission, it should be a 4L60-E in all of the engines you are talking about. (4.3-5.7 tbi, 5.7L vortec,or 5.3) If you put a vortec 5.7 they use an OSB II computer system. and your truck has an OSB I system. Different wiring, different dash, lots of different things. There are a lot of performance up grades out there for the 5.7 TBI also if you want more power.