1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

94 Kelsey Hayes ABS issues...

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by shuttlefever, Dec 28, 2011.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. shuttlefever

shuttlefever New Member

Hey all, new guy here. I have a 94 suburban with an issue with the ABS system. Prior to my purchasing the vehicle someone did a front brake job on it. From what i can tell they just shoved the pistons back into the calipers without opening the bleeders. My theory on this is that when they did that they pushed schmutz (ya the technical term!!) back into the ABS control unit. The reason i believe this is that the rig has had a pull under braking at the first of the pedal push since i got it. I figured it was a bleed issue and proceeded to bleed the system til i was blue in the face!! I went on the interwebs and got the proceedures for bleeding the control unit and proceeded to bleed the be-jeezus out of that too. I can bleed it, drive it and it pulls less, almost no pull, but it gradually comes back. I changed the flex line thinking that it may have a collapse internally that could cause a check valve effect. (saw it before...). No change. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem???
    D~

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

welcome to the club!

3. shuttlefever

shuttlefever New Member

so... does this club have an exit clause??? or am i just gonna have to swipe a control unit from another vehicle and hope for the best??? Is there a way to clean the control unit out?? Dissasemble it???
    D~

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Hey I was just bumping your thread back to the top, so here it goes again!

5. shuttlefever

shuttlefever New Member

wheee!!! it's like a roller coaster!! :lol:

6. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well I'll try to help. My dad has a 2000 S-10 and was complaining of it pulling as well. The first thing I do is check the brake fluid reservoir, well it was low, we had just did front calipers, pads and rotors up front, and shoes and hardware out back this summer. Tried to talk him into doing wheel cylinders but wouldn't. So after checking fluid, seeing it was low, I decided to pull the rear drums. Low and behold one of the wheel cylinders was leaking. We caught it just in time, as the shoes were not soaked. So I put wheel cylinders on both sides.

But this did not account for all the loss of fluid, so I got on my creeper and patrolled the lines front to rear. On the rear axle both lines were soaked so I replaced both lines on the rear axle. It's been three weeks now and no more pulling and fluid loss.

After what you describe I would trace all the lines out and check your rear wheel cylinders. When you bleed at the wheel, you also bleed the abs unit as well. You could have a sticking caliper, hose (as you descibed), or froze, leaking wheel cylinder. Hope this helps good luck.

7. shuttlefever

shuttlefever New Member

Thanks Dedmon, unfortunately, i have done all that several times... its a real problem child. I have contemplated removing the abs and going old school on it, but i kinda like having it on there for when my wife actually drives it! And its nice when the road conditions are not so hot. I have bled the abs unit numerous times as well, i am getting the impression i may have to see if i can find another unit somewhere like a wrecking yard and take it apart to see what makes it tick. It may show me where my debris is located and how the heck i can get it out! I may also just yank the one i have off and flush the heck out of it from every direction possible and see if i can clean it out that way.
    D~