1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

94's speed gauge jumping and jerking

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Ethan, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

So, last night, my speed gauge was jumping about 10 mph in sync with my blinkers, and in general just doing crazy things, and I have no idea why. I'm suspecting the alternator, I've been waiting for it to die, and I tested it this morning, the dash gauge said it was charging around 15 volts with just the engine running, and when I put my multimeter on the alternator, it said 19 volts.

Could a alternator overcharging cause this problem?

Or should I look at the speed sensor?
  2. thegeniusguy

thegeniusguy New Member

its a ground issue, check your ground.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Rockstar 100 Posts

Which one? There's hundreds of grounds....
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Check all of them! Pay special attention to the grounds for the instrument cluster and the body ground at the battery.
    By the way, if your alternator is making 19 volts, then either it's not grounding properly, or it's a bad regulator. Either way, fix it as soon as possible, because you'll burn up all kinds of stuff.
    Good Luck and God Bless