Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

95-99 Stereo Install and Diagnose

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Dr_Zero, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Here is the rundown, I was having problems with my radio (head unit) or so I thought the sound would have static and would go from low to blaring all on it on.

I have a 96 Suburban thought it was the head unit going out so I spoke with an installer at big box store said it probably head unit also.
    The radio in these vehicles has got to be one of the easiest to swap! I found a great site with lots of pics so I went for it.

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/Suburban.html

Pulled out the head unit and put in a spare one from my wife's Yukon (she upgraded not too long ago) things went well and I thought it was fixed.

Wrong it still did it!!!

Did some more digging and found some of the Suburbans have a small factory amp under the drivers seat and eight speakers installed so I thought it must be going out that has to be it.

When you unplug the amp the rear door speakers go out completely and the rear pillar speakers get very low but still work. (The big box installer told me the opposite)

Tried that for a couple of days and still no joy! it was about to drive me nuts.

I stumbled on a comment on another radio site about checking the rear pillar speakers .

http://www.carstereohelp.com/repairDoItYourselfChevrolet.htm

TECH NOTE - check speaker connector, wire braid from connector into speaker may unravel. This speaker wire braid can touch the metal framing of the speaker and cause one or both sides of the car stereo audio to drop out.

No could it be, could it really be that simple? Yes it was there were a couple of strands of the braided copper wire touching the frame and had even made some scorch marks!

Unplugged the speakers and plugged back in the factory amp/splitter and we were back in business!

I'm looking at my options in 4x10 speakers not much selection but I will let you know how the new ones go in.

Hope this might help some other poor soul out there who might run into such a problem.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can put in better speakers then 4x10 they suck!!! i have either 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch Bostons in mine just needed a plate made and no other mods they fit perfectly, i can get some pics if you want them and then measure to let you know exactly what I have

3. Dr_Zero

Cool post it up, thanks!

4. vncj96

Work ran a little long tonight by ohhhh 5 hours, so I will get them posted up tomorrow as soon as I get home from work!

5. vncj96

here is a pic, its a 5 1/4" speaker mounted on a 1/4' wood plate as you can see there is planty of room and given the way the speaker covers are curved I could fit a 6 1/2" speaker in there with a little more modding

Attached Files:

6. Dr_Zero

Cool I might have to give that a try, would be nice to have the speakers all the way around.

I got a free pair of Pyle 4x10 coming so Im going to try them out in the mean time.